Re: Street tire classes

To: ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Street tire classes
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 01:35:38 EST
In a message dated 2/8/2005 9:33:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bnemy@pacbell.net writes:
When the Steering Committee moved the Stock cars into individual Street Tire
classes, we looked at the SP and SM classes and decided that there are close
to equivalent Street Tire classes already.
SP and SM cars can easily be overprepared (read: illegal) for STS, STX, STS2
and STU.
There were not that many SP and SM cars competing on street tires in the STi
class to be of a great concern.  My personal opinion is that if you are going
to prepare a car for an SP class or for SM the tires must be R tires.  Why
else would you compete in those classes?  If you are running street tires
because
you don't want the hassle or expense of another set of wheels we have STS,
STX, STU, STS2. If you are a serious competitor prepare your car for a class,
don't ask us to
make a class for the way your car is prepared.  How many classes do we need?
We're not talking about serious SP or SM competitors.  We're talking about
people who want to autocross and have a car that isn't listed in an ST* class
or
has wheels that are too wide, big throttle body, etc. that isn't ST* legal.
So, now they have to autocross uncompetitively in the open class or illegally
in an ST* class.  Do you want them to go  away?  If you don't care about them
because there aren't enough to worry about, fine. Just don't claim that they
fit into ST* classes...

Charlie