street tire classes

To: ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net, "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Subject: street tire classes
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:14:12 -0500

Message text written by "PAUL TIBBALS"

" I don't show up
at 7 a.m. if I don't run until the afternoon, unless I'm working.  John
Kelly,
should I feel guilty about that?  Do you know if that was a motivator
amongst
the Street Tire contingent?"

Are you trying to pick on me? <G> Well, go ahead as long as I can pick on
you. <G>
In a friendly way of course.
For the first 15-20 years of San Francisco Region's Solo II existence (we
started in 1971) , I was not only  on hand early, I was often designing the
course and setting it up. More recently I, too, have been arriving later. I
feel I've earned it.

        In the beginning we decided to use SCCA's classes rather than the
Nor Cal Council's classes because we felt our guys would fare better at
Nationals that way. It doesn't really matter what any group uses in their
home neigyborhood, besides in those early days  the NorCal stalwarts
resisted SCCA. Their choice.
        The NCSCC, yours truly a former chairman, eventually died for a
couple of basic reasons: 1) The individual clubs did not recruit new
members; and 2) none of the individual clubs could figure out what to do
when the Pleasanton Fairgrounds cut us off.

        Plus in that era, every NCSCC club had its own equipment. With one
(1) club e can afford lots of luxuries like a strong P.A. systym
(supplemented by our 5 watt radio), blowers for cleaning off debris, even a
radio for every corner station. When I got started we'd call in pylons by
shouting. I even learned how to pump my arm to visually give a count. One
club had large signs they'd display
        The only thing I miss is one second pylon penalties. If that comes
up for a vote again I'd vote for one-second penalties.

        Street tires and race tires were all we had in those days. Now we
have all kinds of street tires. We had to draw a line some place. There are
about 62 classes which, in my opinion, is more than needed. But every group
campaigns for their personal Me-Me class, and gets it.
`       Street Tire class is offered locally as a favor to our SFR members.
It's now split into the same divisions as the regular stock classes and
they run heads up. Personally I've been opposed to the whole Index scheme
from Day 1. Here we have some guy in Chicago deciding how well I do on a
given day, sight unseen. That's not for me. In fact the whole Index program
was invented to offer people a comparison to see how well they've done. If
it was only up to me I'd abandon it. Does it work in your favor? We don't
have to use it in SFR but we have a lot of people who want it. So we do.

--John Kelly