Re: Insurance

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Insurance
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 08:38:51 -0400
At 05:06 PM 5/23/97 -0500, you wrote:

> My Bricklin is now off the road while I rebuild it.   It isn't covered
> under my home owners insurance and my local agent can only give me
> comprehensive coverage if I buy the liability as well......

George,

   Been there done that!!

   When I brought my Bricklin home, it wasn't running and I knew it wouldn't
be for many years.  So I started checking about insurance and found out
(like you did) that home owners wouldn't cover.  Since 1/2 of the car is
in my attic, the other have is spread all over the house, (under beds,
behind the dishes cabinets) I thought home owners would cover it.  But
they say that since it is automotive it can't be covered under home owners
and MUST be covered by your car insurance.

  The 1st question to you, is do you have any other cars insured with you
pressent co. or was the Brick. the only one with that co?

I called my insurance (USAA) and told them about my problem.  They were
great and worked with me.  I now have loss coverage for fire, etc. on
the Brick for about $25 a year.  Quite reasonable.   The only restriction
was that the car must be in a garage and not left outside.  Now I should
really check into that, as I have a 77 Spitfire (not running) sitting in
my driveway and have about $2500 in it.

I'd suggest that you call your agent again and ask for a number of
someone higher up - at corporate.  Talk to someone there.  If that doesn't
help, look around for another insurer.

Before I went with USAA, I found that buy shopping for insurance every 2
years or so actually paid off.  I could usually get a cheaper rate by
changing insurance co.  They didn't seem to value a customer.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  495-8229

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire