Bodywork: Time vs. Money...

Subject: Bodywork: Time vs. Money...
From: Phil Martin <pmartin@isgtec.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 10:46:13 -0400
Hi all.

Many of the panels on my '75 have cracked acrylic, and the door panels are
slightly warped (they've come off the door frames at the top).  At first I
was planning to just replace most of them, but as you all know that's
rather pricey, and I'm not convinced it's necessary.

I don't want to shell out the moolah for all new 'glass panels, but I don't
want to be left with the crack-prone acrylic either.  Is it possible to
sand off the acrylic and be left with the underlying 'glass?  If it's
possible, is it reasonable?  If not, then what's involved in fixing the
cracks in the acrylic?  Is there anything I can do to keep it from cracking
again?

The key here is that although I don't really have very much time, I have
even less money to spend on this particular hobby...  So, I'm happy to put
a lot of hours into fixing the body, especially if it means I'll end up
good at working with 'glass.

Also, I'm really interested in the side skirts on that beautiful blue PA
car everyone's so excited about (including me).  I've thought for a while
that the Brick would respond well to a modern ground-effects treatment - it
would appear that I was right ;)  Does anybody have a source for those
parts, or is it a strictly "make your own damn skirts" situation?

Any info appreciated,

Phil.