Aftermath of "Its Alive"

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Aftermath of "Its Alive"
From: JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu (Jim Isbell)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 14:38:16 -0600 (CST)
Thursday night I get ready to make the 185 mile run to the border.  I had to
go at night since I had no inspection sticker.  I have nicknamed the Brick
"Dracula" since it can only go out after dark.

I cranked it up and smelled gas.  A look underneath and gas was flowing
everywhere.  Tried replacing the hose in the dark and gave up.

Friday morning, replaced the hose cranked it up and the fuel flow was NOT
diminished.  It was squirting out from the fuel pump piviot point.  Replaced
the pump and everything was dry.  Threw a fire extinguisher in the back and
decided to take a shot at the inspection sticker, what the hell.  30 minutes
later it was legal with a new sticker!!!

I left at noon, no need to wait till dark and headed south.  Good thing I
did.  35 miles out the exhaust note got noticaly louder.  Diagnoses while
driving:  "The donut between the manifold and the exhaust pipe has blown."
Action to take: "Nothing, just keep going until a cop stops you."

Bad choice.

5 miles later I could smell the odor of hot fibreglass.  So I stopped and
looked under the car.  Looked allright so I jumped back in and moved about
100 yds before the cockpit filled with smoke.  "Mayday, Mayday"  bailed out
and stomped out the fire in the pasanger side carpets.

The exhaust had burned a hole through the fibreglass "firewall" and set the
carpets on fire.

I looked up and down the drainage ditch till I found a piece of galvanised
steel. Looked like the tail of an old windmill.  I beat it into submission
with my tire iron and twisted it around the leaking joint.

150 miles later I was in the garage of our new house with the door closed
and locked.

Now I know what it feels like to be a bootlegger when he finaly reaches the
dump point.

I am now thinking about cutting the fibreglass away from the two areas where
the exhaust flange is and pop riviting in some galvanised steel.  It will
make it easier to replace the donut and it wont burn through next time it blows.

                                                                    Jim I. ,
Onboard "Millennium Falcon"

"Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports.
All others are just games."  E. Hemingway---- J.Isbell adds "and sailing."