Re: Chassis mods and more

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chassis mods and more
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 19:27:23 -0500
>While you are at it, see if you can scare up an electrical wiring diagram

I've looked for one before and asked Terry if he has one.  He has a spare
harness tacked on the wall that he uses for testing.  He says that he's
NOT aware of any wiring diags. anyplace.

When I disassembled 887, I drew some sketches of the wiring runs etc.  So
far I think the only part I have finished is the dash board wiring, the
engine wiring harness, and the rear harness.  As I get the body back on
the chassis and pull the wiring harness out, I hope to document it as
I put it back in the car.  Maybe some cold winters evenings when not in
the garage or typing on the computer, I'll get a chance to draw up the
diag.

But don't let me stop you.  If anyone beats me to that will be great!!!!

Now as for stiffening the chassis.  Had a discussion with Terry this
afternoon about some of this.  So of what we discussed are summarized
here:

   1. Stiffening chassis - Tested and was the strongest frame of
      any car made.

   2. Really can't lower the car.  Initial ground clearence is
      4.5".  Terry has lowered his to about 3".  In addition the
      front end geometry can get really screwed up, which will
      cause all kinds of handling problems.

   3. The Bricklin has been shown to be a better handling car on
      most of the drivers.  In 74, Road & Track did a comparision
      of the 74 Vet and 74 Brick.  The Vet out performed the Brick
      on the streights.  But the Brick did better than the Vet on
      the cornering.

I'm not sure I'm qualified to really enter into this discussion, so I
won't.  And I'm not trying to stop anybody from playing.  However, unless
there is a real reason for a modification, I tend to rely on the
manufactures designers.  I figure that they know more about the design
stuff than I do.

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire