RE: Chassis mods and more

Subject: RE: Chassis mods and more
From: Phil Martin <pmartin@isgtec.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 20:07:05 -0500
On Tuesday, November 25, 1997 7:27 PM, John T. Blair [SMTP:jblair@exis.net]
wrote:
> Now as for stiffening the chassis.  Had a discussion with Terry this
> afternoon about some of this.  So of what we discussed are summarized
> here:
>

>    1. Stiffening chassis - Tested and was the strongest frame of
>       any car made.

There are lots of ways of measuring frame "strength" - it's not necessarily
the same as stiffness.  I don't know if there's much of a relationship
between a frame's ability to be driven into a brick wall and it's ability
to resist torsional flex, for example.  Does Terry modify the frames in the
high-horsepower vehicles he builds?  Has he ever modified one while
focusing on handling?

>    2. Really can't lower the car.  Initial ground clearence is
>       4.5".  Terry has lowered his to about 3".  In addition the
>       front end geometry can get really screwed up, which will
>       cause all kinds of handling problems.

I'd buy that.

>    3. The Bricklin has been shown to be a better handling car on
>       most of the drivers.  In 74, Road & Track did a comparision
>       of the 74 Vet and 74 Brick.  The Vet out performed the Brick
>       on the streights.  But the Brick did better than the Vet on
>       the cornering.

Yeah, and a modern minivan will outcorner both of them. ;)

Thanks for bringing it up with Terry, John.
--
Phil Martin                         pmartin@isgtec.com
"This room smells like Hotel Illness,