Re: What is the timing info on the 351w?

To: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>, <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What is the timing info on the 351w?
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 22:48:58 -0500
The official figure is with the vacuum advance hose disconnected and
plugged, engine at operating temperature, A/C and headlights off, 500 rpm in
neutral: 4 deg BTDC. If you're running a Holly 2 or 4 barrel, then 8-10 deg
BTDC works better, assuming you don't have to meet stringent smog rules. As
far as tune-up tips: if smog regs aren't a problem, get rid of the equipment
or at least disable them. A new carb is the most worthwhile change to
improve derivability which also allows more ignition advance. The Holly 500
cfm 2 barrel with electric choke is a bolt-on. A better solution is a 480
cfm Quadrajet with an alum manifold.

GM