Percolating

To: Bricklin List Server <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Percolating
From: "William H. Whitney" <bill-whitney@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 09:13:55 -0400
Hi...

Well, #624 is not quite "on the road". I upgraded the carburetor to a
Holley 600 series and had it running great for about two weeks. Then
yesterday, I was going around 65 mph and the engine began losing power
and sputtering. A passerby (who happened to own a Bricklin) said he
thought the mixture was too rich. When we pulled the air cleaner, we
could see gas spurting into the carburetor. Adjustments to the
carburetor did no good and it finally stalled and wouldn't start again.

My mechanic says the heat of the day (over 95 degrees) and the heat of
the engine may have caused something to fail in the dispensing of fuel
into the carburetor. He calls it "percolating" and thinks the solution
may be to wrap the fuel line under the hood in some material from a
speed shop that will keep the line cool.

Does anyone have experience with this "percolating" situation and know
if that fix is correct or is there some adjustment that needs to be made
to the Holley?

TIA...

William (Bill) H. Whitney, Bricklin VIN #624
AITP Central/North Jersey Chapter (#377) Liaison and Region 13 List
Manager
AITP Internet Forum Administrator
Owner, Micro Business Applications, dBase/Clipper/FoxPro consultant