RE: Gas Tank

To: "Bricklin List Server (E-mail)" <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gas Tank
From: Michael Mitchell <MICHAELM@bcgsys.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:47:50 -0400
I just removed and re-installed my tank (just to sandblast and paint this
time - it had previously been relined). I disconnected the battery, emptied
the tank (so it was lighter) and removed the muffler (to ease the tank
removal and re-installation). There are two wires on the back of the tank
that need to be disconnected. A ground wire that is screwed to the frame,
and the positive lead that just pulls off. There is also the hose clamp on
the top / rear end of the tank that needs loosened. Loosen the two nuts
(removal is not necessary) on the tank straps. The straps can then be
removed (the bolts are 'keyed' at the top and can be lifted up and pulled
out).

Be very careful about sparks with an empty tank. The gas vapor can explode!
I took the extra precaution of grounding the tank during removal to reduce
the chance of sparks. Once removed, have the tank relined and change the
filter on the pickup tube. Before re-installing the filter / pickup tube,
check the operation with an Ohmmeter (just move the float - the Ohmmeter
should register a change). Installation is just the reverse. I found the
hardest part was to get the filler tube lined up and installed properly. You
may wish to have an extra set of hands and eyes available when you do this.

You may also want to take the opportunity, as I did, to paint the tank and
exposed frame with POR-15 at this time ... just a thought.