RE: Looking for a muffler

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Looking for a muffler
From: "Olenick, Jamison" <Olenick@ssims.nci.nih.gov>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 07:45:21 -0400
Mitch and Ivan,
    I too am a Flowmaster fan (having been an ex-5.0 owner).  I looked into the
Flowmasters and even called them to get one.  They said that they used to make
one with 2 inlets and 2 outlets but no longer had them available.  I was quite
dissapointed.  I ended up buying (2) 2 1/4 standard Flowmaster mufflers ($50
each or so) and mounting them going straight back from the point at which the
exhaust goes under the axle and straightens out towards the back of the car.  I
got the shortest mufflers that I could find and this makes the outlets exit the
car just under the thin fiberglass strip that runs under the bumper.  So unless
you want it to look completely original then I think that this is the way to go.

   I did notice that Flowmaster does make a cat-back system for the 79-80 camaro
that looks to have a 2 inlet and 2 outlet muffler but it was ~$200 and the
inlets (or outlets) look to come out of the body of the muffler instead of the
ends.  I think that if you look in a Jegs or Summit catalog you will be able to
find a picture of this muffler (and rest of the cat-back system to fit a camaro)
   As for a stock replacement I think that everyone goes with a Walker muffler
that is almost a perfect fit for the original muffler. I think that it runs
~$80-100.
   Please Note:  The walker and stock muffler will have approximately the same
sound.  With the flowmasters my Bricklin is VERY VERY loud (with no engine
mods), which is the sound that I was looking for.  Actually - if you just remove
your muffler and start your car it will be that loud.  The only thing that the
flowmasters really do is mellow out the sound...and they do a absolutely
wonderful job of it.
   Flowmasters have a sound like no other.  (I love them so much that I
sometimes just stand directly behind the car when it is running and listen to
them)

                                                Jamie