Re: Air Doors

To: david.ebel@visitalk.com, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Air Doors
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 16:55:50 PDT
>Now that I have a car, the first thing I would like to do is get the air
>doors to work really well.  My car has an electric aux pump that I can turn
>on from the back (TT modification).  I want the doors to open a little
>faster, and I want to optimize how long it can hold air.  How long can I
>expect it to hold at most?

At most?  I would imagine a year or two -- Tanner claims that one he had
held for something like 10 years.  Mine almost nevers leaks anything at all.
  To make the doors open faster just increase the pressure at the regulator
a bit -- normally they screw in to increase pressure.  But it should take a
couple of seconds -- remember that you are stressing the door up there where
it curves and the more pressure, the more stress.

What are some things I can do to make the above
>happen?
>       I am already planning on running soap and water over the connections
>to check for leaks - but what do I do if I find them?

Not to be a smart butt, but you fix the leak.  Depending on where it is, you
might need to replace the regulator, replace some of the airlines, some of
the farrels and nuts, put nipples where needed, put a new scrader valve in
the air tank, rebuild or clean out all the solenoids, replace a cylinder,
etc. The biggest leak I had and I don't know how my car doors ever worked
was where the tubing came off of the storage tank.  I had to put a tiny hose
clamp on that fitting to get the leak to stop. All of these I have done and
atill do. I also put a little atf before the regulator to lube up the
solenoids and cylinders. If the cup on one of the cylinders is leaking, it
is good to take the cylinder off and squirt a bunch of atf into it when
upside down and let it set overnight to swell up the cup. Kim