Re: Anyone work on wiper motor?

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Anyone work on wiper motor?
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 17:51:33 -0500
Kim, this is one of the easier jobs.

1) First, disconnect the power plug and ground wires (if any) leading to the
motor which are very close by.
2) You'll then need to remove all the small fasteners that attach the
mounting plate to the air plenum.  The plate is also sealed with a tape
similar to Prestite and you can use any black foam tape to replace.  These
tapes are available wherever a/c parts are sold, including Home Depot and
other building centers.
3) As you pull up on the mounting plate, you will notice the arm of the
wiper motor is connected to the linkage via a snap fitting over a ball type
jointed arm that you must release.  With good light, you will be able to
tell how to pop this off very quickly.
4) You will then be able to remove the plate and motor assembly to a
workbench.  You will need to remove the linkage arm from the motor with one
nut.
5) Now you can unbolt the motor which is mounted by 3 bolts and 3 rubber
grommets (it is a good idea to replace these grommets with new ones when
mounting the new motor onto the plate).
6) Install in reverse order greasing the balljoint.  Do not overtighten
anything!

That's it, you're done.  However, before doing this make sure its not your
switch that is the problem.  All replacement parts (incl. sw.)  should be
available through Bob Hoffman or Terry Tanner.   Have fun.  Hope this helps.
I don't think I've left anything out, but if I have, I'm sure someone else
can catch it and post any addendum.

stephan #2821