Re: Scrappage

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Scrappage
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:12:26 -0500
At 03:02 PM 12/16/01 -0800, Chuck Simms wrote:

>How many times to we see that we are victimized by our
>own lack of knowledge?

Unfortunately, all too many.  For example, I'm sick of hearing
that I MUST research my doctor, my Lawyer, etc.  There are state boards
for that.  I didn't go to Med school, that's why I pay a doctor $600/hr.
If I know enough to challange or correct him, then I should be my own
doctor/lawyer, etc.  Unfortunately, from my personal experiences the
bodies that govern these "professionals" are as corrupt as some of their
members.

>The inherent political power in this country is vested
>in the people.

Think again.  Our government is by the lawyers for the lawyers!  (No
offence met to the lawyers on the list.)  And unfortunately, I'm not a
Billionare, so I can't spend several million dollars of my own money to
try and get elected.  Why would anyone do that to get a job that only pays
$150,000 / yr for life?

>The bottom line is that we each have a God given right to own property.
>The problem crops up when some elitest people believe
>that they are empowered to trample upon our rights,
>for whatever reason.  They don't!

Maybe not, but I don't have the money to hire a lawyer to fight for
my rights, after some group of idots sneak some stupid law in under
the table at the 11 hour.  Just look at the current car crushing bills
that exist in CA.  Look at what NJ has done with their smog laws and their
car ownership laws.  Many places it is illegal to have an unlicensed car on
your property.  But who can fit city hall?

>Whether you own one or one hundred cars, houses or
>baseball cards is not material.  The fact is that you
>have the right of ownership.  The concept of eyesores
>or visual polution is without merit since beauty is in
>the eye of the beholder.

I agree especially with your last sentence.

There are zoning laws, which change over time, if nothing else to
stop you from doing certain things.  But around here, VA. you can't
have a boat, a trailer, or a semi tractor, in your front yard or on
the street.  While you have the right of ownership, you don't have the
right to have it at your residence.

Most of this city was rural until about 25 years ago.  There was a junk
yard that had been around for at least 20 years.  The urban sprawl slow
incroached on it.  Finally some rich SOB built a hotel across the street
from it.  The hotel went to city council and wanted them to close it
down.  The hotel thought the junk yard was an eye sore for customers of
the hotel.  The hotel won.  The junk yard was taken by the city.

Another case.  We have a military air field.  When it was built back in
the 40s or 50s, it too the better part of a day to get to it.  It was in
the middle of 1,000s of acres of farmland.  The city council has let
the builders build houses all around the base over the last 25 years.  Now
the home owners are screaming about the noise.  The Navy is not looking to
buy another air field.  How many billions is that going to cost you and me,
because of the idots on the local city council?   I wonder how much money
the council persons recieved from the builders?

>Since the powers of government are justly derrived
>from the rights of the people, how can it be possible
>for the people to instill powers where no rights
>exist?
>
>The fact is they can't.  It seems that we are placing
>the cart before the horse.  Government derrives powers
>from the people, we do not have to request priveledges
>from our own creation (government) when property
>rights are ours from the creator.

Again, unfortunately most people don't have the time for
follow all local, state and federal bills as they are introduced
into the system.  I for one, don't think that we need several
hundred new laws a year.  Especially when they don't have a
finite life.  Again, around here, the LAW requires when you come to an
intersection that you stop your car, get out of it, wave a latern
so as NOT to scare the horses.  I don't live in an Amish community
either.  I live in a metropolitan area of about 1.5 million people.
It is also illegal to have sex in anything other than the missionary
position.  How would they know anyway?

The list of stupidity goes on and on.  The bottom line is, stop the
stupidity before it starts.

Oh how I wish it were as simple as you make it seem.

I don't trust any of the political participants - city, state, or federal.