Radio reception

To: "bricklin@autox.team.net" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Radio reception
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins@cybersurfers.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:35:50 +0000
In the early days of car radios the antenna was under the running board,
fastened to stand-off insulators, generally in a U shape.  Worked fairly
well but a bit directional.  After a time amateur radio operators went
mobile and fastened a vertical length of copper tubing to the side of
the car.  Worked quite well.  Car manufacturers caught on and started
with the whip antennas.  The hams got there first.

If I were going to try to increase my reception I'd take a length of
copper tubing, probably the hook-up tubing for an ice maker, and stick
it under the car, starting with a U shape or loop, whatever the length
would allow.

You can't really get rid of ignition noises unless the input radio
signal is stronger than the ignition.

I'm not going to work it out for you, I stuck a cassette deck in the
center console, works great, I'm out in the boonies where reception is
poor anyway.

If you care to know how I installed the cassette, using all existing
wiring (if you have changed to air doors), let me know, I'll write it
up.

Les