RE: Parts 4 sale

To: "'John T. Blair'" <jblair@exis.net>, <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Parts 4 sale
From: "George Schiro" <gschiro@lni.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 16:29:02 -0400
I've been looking at the rear suspension geometry now that the chassis is
off.  The two trailing arms at the side will stop axle yaw and since they
are about 6 inches above the axle center line they should stop windup on
acceleration and braking.  Their main problem is being very short, the arc
they describe will be about an half inch longer during spring compression.
This isn't good and trailing arms are usually much longer to minimize this
effect. Unfortunately, I don't see how a longer trailing arm could be
installed given the space available.

Axle yaw shouldn't be a big problem with the leaf springs but windup could.
One possible solution is to install a single torque arm up the middle
between the battery box and pneumatics box.  What I think the rear
suspension could benefit most from is an anti-sway bar.

Has anyone made any suspension modifications that have improved handling?
Besides the passenger side upper shock mount, are there any frame areas that
have caused problems de to breakage or distortion?   It will be a lot easier
to fix the frame or add modifications with the chassis off.

PS:  I asked earlier whether anyone knows the front / back weight
distribution of a stock Bricklin.  My guess is 60/40 but if anyone knows the
"official" figure, please let me know. The new Chevy 305/700R4 combination
should take about 100 lbs off the front.

George Schiro