RE: radiator

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: radiator
From: "Early, Stephen" <Stephen.Early@mbna.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 06:55:19 -0400
Jeff,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "slower to put out heat in colder
weather".  The radiator's job is to release heat to the outside air and it
will do its job better in the colder weather.  If, however, you're referring
to the heating of the cockpit, that is the job of the heater core which is,
essentially, a small radiator.  Your aluminum radiator will have no effect
on the cockpit heating if your cooling system is functioning properly.

During warm-up, the cooling loop is from the engine to the heater core only.
The radiator is removed from the loop by the closed thermostat.  As the
engine temperature reaches operating temperature of the thermostat, the
thermostat will begin to open which includes the radiator in the cooling
loop.  It is the thermostat that dictates the operating temperature while
the radiator releases the excess heat to keep the engine at the temperature
of the thermostat.

That said, it's not the radiator but rather, it's the size of the cooling
loop excluding the radiator that governs how quickly your cockpit heats up.
The less volume of coolant, the faster you'll be warm.

Stephen I. Early
Portfolio Conversions
Technology Sector-MBNA America
302.457.4788