Re: New Bricklin Owner

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net, JT <johnt147@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: New Bricklin Owner
From: Seth <sbunin@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:21:12 -0400
A couple of things to check then:

1) make sure your regulator is not turned all the way down.
    This black knob adjusts how fast or slow your doors will open
2) Sometimes the solenoids get corrosion in the seats (although it
   is typically the dump solenoids, not the apply). You can check this
   by pulling your solenoids apart. First drain your air tank, you don't want
   to have presssure in there when you take the solenoid apart or it will shoot
   out of there. Next step is to take the coil off by taking the top nut off.
   then using a flat head screwdriver, very gently unscrew the solenoid sleeve.
   Be very careful when doing this as there is a little armature which is spring
   loaded inside there. Make sure there is no corrosion blocking the seat. Since
   you're worried about the apply side, an easy check is to have someone put a
   bit of air in the tank. You should feel the air coming out of the seat when
you do
   that. Also, have that person manually raise and lower the door, you should
feel
   air coming out of the other hole in the seat.
3) Since you've already got the coil off, now is a good time to make sure it is
   getting juice. This is an easy check. Take a nail, or paperclip or something
   metal and hold it inside the ring. Then hit the switch. If there is juice to
it,
   you'll feel a slight tug on the metal. Up switch for the top coil, and down
switch
   for the bottom coil.

Oh, one more thing, while you're in there, it's a good time to make sure your
fogger
is full. This keeps the rams lubricated and keeps them from rusting. Aluminum
rusts
white, so if you see white pellets in your solenoids, make sure to refill your
fogger, and
work the doors a bit to get it out of the system, otherwise you'll just have
more problems
down the road. Some have said to use anti-freeze as the lubricant, but I've
found that
power steering fluid works much better.

Hope this gives you a place to start.

Seth