Re: new freon

To: "Seth" <sbunin@comcast.net>, <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: new freon
From: "Sean Johnson" <seanjohnson@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 18:20:39 -0500
This is a replacement for R134a, NOT for R12.  You use the R134a lubricant
(PAG or POE), not R12 type.  The first two questions of their FAQ address
this.  If you convert your R12 system to R134a use, then you could use this
product.  There is a big difference between EPA approved and not regulated.
Since the EPA doesn't regulate next generation refrigerants that don't use
CFCs, this product isn't covered by the EPA.  As you might imagine, the EPA
doesn't like that and it could change.

Rather than get nailed again as they take R134a off the market (which is
being considered now), I took the EPA test online (sorry I can't find the
URL at the moment) and received accreditation.  It was easy ... heck, it is
open book!  Read the study material (or have it open on your screen while
you test) and you should pass.  With that, you can buy R12.  It is easily
available on EBay for $10 to $15 per can.  If they do take R134a out of
stores, you'll be able to buy that, too.

Good luck!