Re: Lubricator & delayed door opening

To: High Tech Coatings <rick@hightechcoatings.com>,
Subject: Re: Lubricator & delayed door opening
From: John Martin <jwmartin37@tstonramp.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:04:58 -0700
Ross, Rick & the Bricklin Room,

The questions are relate to using a lubricator in the air door system,
and what kind and where to get it.

First, why use a lubricator?  ......We have covered this for what seems
to be 1,000 times in the last 30 years.  The system has moving parts and
rubber (like) parts which, very simply put, do not like to be operated
dry.  Properly lubed, your system will operate better, longer.

Second, what kind is best?......Most inexpensive ones have polycarbinate
(PC) bowls and sight glasses.  UHG!  PC has a min. operating temp of 40
degrees F.    Some types use metal bowels, with a glass or nylon sight
glass.  Some have NO sight glass.  The latter is difficult to determine
if, or how much lube is being injected into the air stream.  The best
type in my opinion is one with a metal bowl and a glass or nylon sight
glass.  Some have no adjustment..  Bad news too.  You need to be able to
see the mist and adjust it to a very  low delivery.  You also need to
see when the mist ceases to know when to refill.  One unit can actually
be filled without draining the air from the entire  system.  That's
right, it can be filled under pressure.

Third, what lube to use.....There are many choices.  Avoid all but two
that I know of.  Lubriplate, or if freezing is a concern, Automatic
Transmission Fluid.  Other products will almost certainly have chemicals
that are not friendly to your system. Also, consider your warrantee
requirements.   (My vendors love guys who use air tool oil!)

Finally, where to get one?....Boy, this is a no-brainer.  This may sound
like a commercial from the former Editor, President, & Chairman of
Bricklin International.  If so, I admit same.  Why go anywhere else but
to the advertisers in the Brickline?   They all charge reasonable
prices, and give knowledgeable advice related to your Marquee, and the
very special requriements of your air door system.  They are not clerks
in a auto parts store who never even heard of the B.  They are not some
teen age phone sales guy at a supply house, who does not have a clue
about your system, and its unique needs.  Go with the experience.  Get
it right the first time.  Support your Club and its advertisers.  Why
would you go anywhere else?

John Martin  VIN 079
661-944-4801 PST