Preping a painted brick

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Preping a painted brick
From: "me" <outback@graham.main.nc.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:25:17 -0700
Hi all,  I started paint prep on 2082 and found  that on the top of the doors
the under most layer is a dark charcoal grey color material.  I checked the
outer edge of the body panels and found about a 1//32 inch layer of acrylic
and about an 1/8 inch layer of fiberglass which is not dark grey in color.
Are the door skins different from body panels????     I'm just trying to
figure out how much material i need to remove to prevent all the body problems
to come thru after a paint job.  I can't tell you what type of paint was used.
It had a brown primer almost like red oxide primer and the paint, in areas is
solid spider web.  The paint almost looks like a latex house paint in spots
like its caked  on.  I first da'ed with 80grit and that removed it slowly,
then I tried a light sandblasting and that took it down too.  let me know,  I
guess I'll try da'ing a body panel and see what happens there.  thanks Frank