Re: 1406 Installation

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1406 Installation
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 07:04:27 -0400
Buying a used carb is at best a shot in the dark IF you know what to look
for. The screw by the linkage is to adjust idle speed, The 2 in the front
adjust idle mixture. If you adjust the speed screw too far the throttle
blades will uncover the transfer slots and render the mixture screws
useless, the carb thinks it is off idle. The mixture screws turn out to
richen the idle in the lean the idle. If the engine is warm and it won't
idle with out the choke There are 2 things to try
1 Leave the fast idle cam controlling the idle speed and manually open the
choke butterfly, if the car stalls the mixture is too lean, if it is on a
fast idle and the transfer slots are open this could mean a clogged jet or a
bent metering rod. If it stays running ten you idle is just too slow and
needs to be speeded up by either advancing  the timing or adjusting the
speed screw, do not adjust the speed screw too far as this will take the
carb out of the idle circuit and into the  driving circuit.
2 turn the idle mixture screws in until they lightly seat then back them out
2 full revolutions, start the car and let it warm up. once the engine is
warm and the timing is set. let the car idle as slow as it will stay
running, with the choke butterfly open. adjust the mixture screws in until
the car runs rough and wants to die then out 1/2 turn, do one then the other
then first then back.
If these 2 don't do it then there is a problem with the used carb and it
needs to be either rebuilt or replaced.
Rick R