Re: An interesting study on oil additives...

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: An interesting study on oil additives...
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 05:09:12 -0500
very good article I have dug up a few more on oil and filters as well as
batteries. The one good thing I garnered from the article is that the $2.67
"Kmart super oil treatment" has the zinc derived additive in it. I would
recommend that anyone with a 74 add a can of this (or any other additive
with zinc "aka ZDDP") at every oil change. The AMC engine with it's aluminum
oil pump housing seems to "like" zinc additives, There are even vendors out
there that make and market a special oil for the AMC engines. these zinc
additives used to be in engine oil but have been slowly pared down due to
their reported harm to catalytic converters. Since your 74 doesn't have a
cat and the engine was designed to be run with these zinc additives I would
recommend them.
 I would not normally recommend any oil treatments as I think they are all
snake oil (my Opinion), but in this case, with the AMC oil pump housing, and
its cost to replace, IF you can find an OEM one they go for $4-500,
aftermarket replacements that have hit and miss quality are around $250, I
would recommend adding an oil treatment with zinc (zddp) just to bring the
oil back to what was specified by the oem.

Battery info
http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq.htm

oil filters
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html