RE: Bad Battery Issues

To: "Greg Schroeder" <gschroeder@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Bad Battery Issues
From: "Early, Stephen" <Stephen.Early@mbna.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:08:04 -0400
I have stored batteries for as much as six months and they still start cars and
boats.  Here are some tests to try.

First, charge the battery fully with a battery charger, not the car's
alternator, disconnect the negative terminal, and let it sit for two weeks.
If, after two weeks of sitting, the car starts up fine, the problem is
excessive drain on the battery when the car is sitting.  To trouble shoot the
cause, remove all the fuses and put an ammeter in series with the battery at
the battery.  If the ammeter shows a drain, the problem is most likely a short
in the cable to the starter solenoid or the solenoid itself.  If there is no
drain, install the fuses one at a time until you see a drain and you've found
the problem.  Obviously, a radio with a memory circuit such as for a clock will
impose a drain but a normally functioning radio will not draw the battery down
in one week.

If you pass the first test, meaning the battery did not start the car, you have
a bad battery.  The fact that you are on your third means you have a charging
system problem.  Most likely the system is over-charging the battery.  With the
battery connected, put a voltmeter on the battery terminals.  You should get a
reading of about 12 volts.  Now, start the car.  The reading should go up to no
more than about 14.2 volts.  If it is higher you should replace your regulator.
 Higher charging voltages will destroy the plates inside the battery.

You should be aware that if the battery is down, running the engine to charge
it is not a good way to bring it back to full charge.  This is mainly because a
car's charging system is designed to 'top off' the battery after a regular
start and also to maintain it's charge during the use of electrical
accessories.  When a battery is low, the car's system runs an initially high
charge rate until the battery is nearly charged, then it drops the rate off
quickly.  Repeated charge cycles like this will ruin a battery.  It is better
to use a trickle charger to bring the battery up to full charge.

Stephen I. Early
Technology Sector
Bank of America Corporation
800.441.7048 x74788