Why I like to work on my car and Battery Update

To: "Bricklin International" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Why I like to work on my car and Battery Update
From: "Greg Schroeder" <gschroeder@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:28:24 -0500
On the issue of the Battery going dead.  It appears that the after market
radio was running it down.  Even though I had the face plate removed it seems
to be eating up all the power.  I checked the alternator and it was never
warm, so I will continue to monitor the battery.  I have a small LED checking
device that I monitor to see how the battery is holding up.  The radio and CD
changer that was put in the car never really worked well and probably needed
to be replaced any way.  Now I guess I have an excuse to do it.

Received this the other day on Jiffy Lubes in California.  Not sure if this is
a common practice or not, but I had my local one recommend a 4-wheel drive
service for my truck.  I had asked them if they noticed I had a two wheel
drive truck.  Made me wonder if they actually changed the oil or not.  Have
not been back since.

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vod.ibsys.com/2006/0503/9152183.200k.asx

Another story related to this on another car.  I was wanting to change out my
PVC valve on my 1983 Grand Prix LJ (no longer have this one).  I tried all
sorts of methods to get it removed and could never get it out to replace.  I
was at a local oil change place and they were going through their routine to
get it out and show it to me.  The guy was determined to get it removed.
Shaking the car and getting up under hood.  I was still in the drivers seat.
After a 10 minute struggle he managed to get it out and show it to me.  Well
it was dirty and he recommended to replace it.  I told him to hold on a
second.  Opened my trunk and pull out the new PCV valve that I had purchased.
He was shocked and I thought I had pulled a sneaky one.  After leaving I
noticed the transmission not shifting.  I pulled over and looked under the
hood for anything that looked obvious. Since he was really getting into all
sorts of positions to get the PCV valve out I figured he had to knock
something loose.  I had found that a vacuum hose was loose.  Reconnected it
and everything was fine.

Greg 0036