Re: Header Installation continued

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Header Installation continued
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:17:09 -0500
If you are using the supplied gaskets they will leak, if not immediately
they will later. IF you can find some ROL or Felpro (graphite) header
gaskets you will at least have a chance. I'm not sure it they make these for
AMC.
Remove the header that is leaking and lay a straight edge across the flange,
if it is not flat cut the flange between the outer and inner ports, that way
you have a chance to pull it in when you tighten the bolts.  If you cannot
find the graphite gaskets, use one of the crappy white ones but soak it in
water before installation, then let it dry for 24 hours before starting the
car. While it is off check the gasket against the port of the head and see
where it touches then put the gasket against the header and make sure it
touches the same areas, There are some pretty crappy fitting headers made
for AMC heads, many don't cover the dogleg portion of the exhaust port
properly leading to leaks.
 Rick R