Re: Volatage Regulator Wires

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Volatage Regulator Wires
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 17:48:32 -0400
At 01:06 PM 10/14/2007 -0500, Greg Schroeder wrote:

>I have noticed I have a wire from the wiring harnes that is broken near the
>voltage regulator.  It has power when the ignition is on and the car will no
>longer start.  Could this wire be from the voltage regulator plug from the
>harness?  I currently see four wires in the plug from the harness, but could
>this wire could have shared the connector with another wire?  I cannot see
any
>other place where it would come from.  No other ends of wires are visible.

Greg,

Can you tell what color the wire is?  Can you take a picture of the connector
and wiring and email it to me?  Unfortunately I have the front fenders back
on my car, so it won't be as easy to see the VR as it was when the fenders
were off. :)

I don't think if any of the wiring to the VR was broken that the car wouldn't
start.

How about a little more info on the no start.  What is going on?  Does it
crank?  If not, then my guess is that wire is off the starter solenoid, or
you aren't in park/neutral.  The park/neutral safety switch is located on
the drivers side of the xmission so I doubt that that wire is from there.

Do the headlights work?  Does the horn work?  Do the gauges light up or
the radio work?

Off the top of my head, if almost nothing electrical works, then my guess is
that you've either blown the fusable link at the starter solenoid, or the
connector at the amp gauge is loose.

John

>Does the Bricklin wiring correspond with the AMC technical reference wiring?
>From the look of the horn relay in relation to the voltage regulator it looks
>like the AMC 10 Series wiring harness.  Would this be correct?

That I can't say for sure.  I know I was trying to use an AMC wiring diag.
years ago, and it didn't look quite the same.  Some parts are, so are not.

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229