Re: 1098 "A" series - a correction

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: 1098 "A" series - a correction
From: linus!xait!pyrthoth.pyramid.com!robbp@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Rob Pryor)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 08:49:14 PST
I've been waiting for my memory to fail me, so when Roger questioned my
assertion about 'A' series engine id numbers, I did a little bit of quick
research.  Boy, was I off base about this!  Most of my books are still
packed but I checked the Moss Motors Spridget catalog.  They have a page
that explains both engine and chassis id numbers.

The first number, 9, 10, 12 refers to 948cc, 1098cc, and 1275cc.

The next one or two letters, C, CC, CG, CE, etc., I'm still not quite
sure about.  However, the 10CC *does* have the 2" mains.  I was wrong, the
orignial poster was correct about this.

The next letter, U, Da refers to the gearbox;  U for the close ratio and
Da for the rib-case.

The last letter, L, H stands for the compression ratio of the head; L for
low compression, H for high comression.

Finally, there is the serial number itself.

As for the Midget/Sprite designation, that is in the chassis number.  If
there is an "HAN" somewhere in there, the car began life as a Sprite.  If
there is a "GAN", it started out as a Midget.  There is other info
contained in the chassis number and I can get it if people are interested.
Catalogs like Moss's are worth having around.  I hope this clears things up
and I apologize for any confusion I may have caused earlier.
--