Re: 1098 "A" series - a correction

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: 1098 "A" series - a correction
From: mit-eddie!NRI.Reston.VA.US!rdroms@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 16:11:12 EST
linus!xait!pyrthoth.pyramid.com!robbp@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Rob Pryor)
writes:

> As for the Midget/Sprite designation, that is in the chassis number.  If
> there is an "HAN" somewhere in there, the car began life as a Sprite.  If
> there is a "GAN", it started out as a Midget.

I think "AN" chassis numbers indicate a Mk. 1 (Bugeye) Sprite (I don't
believe Midgets weren't produced until the Mk. II Sprite, so there
wouldn't have been a need to differentiate Sprites from Midgets).  My
Bugeye's chassis number is (approximately) AN 5-49900.

BTW - I called Motorhead, LTD about the Bugeye Sprite kit they listed
in their latest catalog.  Turns out to be a half-facetious
entry - they claim to be able to supply almost every part needed to put
together a Bugeye from scratch, and the Bugeye kit is just short-hand
for a *real* long order form...

So, if you Bugeye lovers find a *big* pile of little packages (and a
couple of big ones) under your Christmas tree, you'll know what's
inside.

- Ralph Droms                             (On leave from Bucknell University)
  NRI                                     rdroms@nri.reston.va.us
  1895 Preston White Drive, Suite 100     (703) 620-8990
  Reston, VA 22091                        (703) 620-0913 (fax)