breaking in an engine

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: breaking in an engine
From: Croaker the Physician <uunet!oracle!oracle.com!markl@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 89 11:48:32 PST
   Date: Fri, 22 Dec 89 10:35:17 EST
   From: dws2j@uvaee.ee.Virginia.EDU (David Will Sterrett)

   [...]
   My instructor who seems competent and has worked on Triumphs
   in the past says "Take that baby out and run it hard. Lug the
   sh*t out of it up a few mountains and seat those rings."

Well, that is exactly what I was told *not* to do.  I was told, for
the first 750-1000 miles, "do not under any circumstances lug the
engine, and do not take it above 4000RPM".  I was also told to adjust
the valves and change the oil at 500 miles, and then again at 1000.

I suspect a lot of the breakin rules are folklore (you know: "offer
three bottles of Sam Smith's Extra Strong Pale Ale to Auld Joe Lucas
at 500 miles, again at 1000, and every year at Walpurgisnacht without
fail"), but there seems to be a thread of consistency to them, dealing
with oil changes and engine revs.

markl

----------
Mark L. Lambert
Architecture Group, Network Products Division
Oracle Corporation

   ________
  /     _  \       Internet: markl%oracle.com@apple.com
 /   /||  \ \                 markl@oracle.com (MX)
| |\/ ||  _  |     UUCP:     ...{hplabs,apple,uunet}!oracle!markl
| |   ||   | |     USMail:   Oracle Corporation, 20 Davis Dr, Belmont CA 94002

"The parts falling off this car are of the finest British quality..."