Paddy Hopkirk wheels for Spridgets

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Paddy Hopkirk wheels for Spridgets
From: linus!xait!rutgers!pwcs.stpaul.gov!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 13:27:44 CDT
I have been on the phone to the owner  of some Paddy Hopkirk wheels.
It seems that Hopkirk was approached by Leyland to lend his name to
wheels for Spridgets.  The wheels are 5.5" wide and are cast.  The
"mag-look" stamped steel wheels like the ones I have on my Spridget
were factory standard circa 1971.  These were purposely made to look
like the Paddy Hopkirk Mags.  These are the ones with the eight square
holes, not the later Rostyle stamped wheels which look just like the
ones used on the MGB.  I am continuing my "broken record" plea for any
documentation that wheels wider than 4.5" were ever on the factory
option list for Sprites or Midgets delivered in USA.  Copy-machine
prints will do fine.  I read that in the last years of production,
cast wheels came on Spridgets as options in Britain.  There were lots
of "dress-up" options on USA cars in the last years to try to boost
sales.  Was a cast wheel option part of this?  My home phone is (612)
224-3105, mail is phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov   US mail is 672 Orleans
Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107
--
Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324