these cars *are* indestructible

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: these cars *are* indestructible
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 89 08:44:21 PST
It's pretty quiet, so I thought I'd send out my latest example of how
badly Sarah has been hacked by previous owners. Since I brought her
home, she's run cold. The only time that she'd come to temperature is
when sitting in traffic on a hot day. Fine, I figured, a defective
thermostat. I can fix that.

Yesterday, I opened the thermostat housing to discover *NO* thermostat!
No wonder she almost always ran cold! Popped in the new thermo, fretted
for an hour or so about the newly-stripped threads in the housing
(longer bolt and a nut until I can get a housing), and drove off. What a
difference! The defroster starts working after about 3 minutes, and my
feet stay warm at the same time! Up to 70 degrees C in 6 minutes and
stays there! Amazingly improved drivability!

I kept thinking to myself "It's a good thing this car doesn't have an
aluminum head".

chris

P.S. Interesting story about the thermo housing: I called the local
parts store, who is a distributor for Moss. They said they didn't have
one, but could get it -- $70. That seemed steep, so I punted, since they
didn't have it in stock. Then I looked at catalogs: Moss's price is $48
(quite a markup!) and TRF is $30. Pretty weird.