Re: thermostats

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: thermostats
From: uunet!hcxio!andyh@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Andy Haber)
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 89 15:01:47 EST

> |Subject: these cars *are* indestructible
> |It's pretty quiet, so I thought I'd send out my latest example of how
> |badly Sarah has been hacked by previous owners. Since I brought her
> |home, she's run cold...  *NO* thermostat!
>
> You didn't say what kind of a car Sarah is, but maybe we can guess that it
> is an MBG or some variant, since you mentioned Moss...
> Aluminum head or not, there are some cars for which the thermostat is more
> important than just letting the block get up to temperature.  On some cars,
> the thermostat is important for directing water through the block whether
> it is open or not.  If you take it out (the thermostat, not the block!),
> the engine will overheat but you won't know it until something cooks.  In
> the general scheme of things, this manner of abusing a car is rather milder
> than some other techniques, but still, it sounds like you (or he) lucked out.
> That could have been a BIG mistake.  Isn't it nice when you find a chronic
> bug like that, and when you fix it all becomes wonderful?
>
> Jim Muller

The thermostat was probably taken out when the car was operating in
a hotter climate.  Down here in florida, in the summer, my 69 MGB will
start to overheat when I get stuck in traffic.  It's never pegged the
temperature gauge, but will will move up above normal until I get
going again.  I suspect if I took the thermostat out, it might
stop doing that.  I haven't taken the thermostat out because it would
be too much trouble to put it back in when I drive the car up north
in the winter.

--
Andy Haber    (andyh@HWD.csd.harris.com)
Harris Computer Systems Division, Ft Lauderdale, FL