Re: Moving cars, addiction, oil pressure

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Moving cars, addiction, oil pressure
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!jesup@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Randell Jesup)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 90 14:27:18 EST
    Roger talks about getting a MGBGT body from AZ,
        -That's better than just getting in my V6 Ford F100, w/trailer,
         and driving out and back...

    Well I happen to know that you don't need a trailer to move it.  A
    friend and I moved a '71 MGBGT body in the back of an F100.  Only
    moved it 80 miles but it could have gone further.  We had to put some
    blocks and boards down in the bed so that the wheel wells wouldn't dent
    the running boards but it worked.

When Dr. bobwrench and I had to move a sprite to an autocross from a friend's
garage, we loaded into the back of another friend's F100: just rolled it up
some long boards.  Fit pretty well, though we had to leave the gate down,
but the wheels were on the bed.  Brings a new meaning to the idea of a
lifeboat.  ("Oops, out of gas - all hands abandon truck, to the sprite!" :-)

    Now with the previous mentioned car, the running one, I have a problem
    with oil pressure.  When the car is cold the pressure is 50lbs after
    it has warmed up the pressure drops to 25lbs.  There is not any noise
    coming from the engine, such as knocking,banging, and klunking but I
    was wondering what else it could be.  I don't think that it is the
    check valve but how can you test that without installing a new one?
    I am going to try an oil pump change this weekend and I will also
    check the bearing clearance.  Any other ideas?  By the way, I'm using
    20w50 in it.

Is that 50/25 lbs at idle, or at 2000-3000 rpm?  If it's idle, I wouldn't
worry about it, that's not dangerous.  If it's 25 lbs at rpm, I'd worry a
bit, and it could probably do with new bearings, but it's probably still ok
to use without trouble, IF the idle isn't below about 20 lbs.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"