Re: Moving cars, addiction, oil pressure

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Moving cars, addiction, oil pressure
From: mit-eddie!uunet.uu.net!lectroid!caloccia@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 90 23:50:38 -0500
]  >of the parts that I'm not sure about, are the connecting rods hollow, with
]  >oil flowing up them to oil the wrist pin, or does the wrist pin depend on
]  >splash lubrication?

]       Usually there is a small hole in the big end of the con-rod, which
]  causes a spray of oil to spray towards the cylinder and (maybe) the wristpin.
]  I don't think most (or maybe any) cars have forced lubrication at the
]  wristpin.  This hole and spray is what lubricates the cylinders.

        That's the part of it, the other part is that the oil sprayed on the
cylinder walls, is pushed down on the intake/firing stroke (hopefully) by the
compression rings. Below the compression rings is an oil ring which (sproing!,
as he peels the Honda piston oil ring apart...) behind it has slots, presumably
directing oil toward the top of the wristpin & what not... (guess I didn't
leave that one in the methylene chloride carb cleaner long enough --
still some varnish on it...)

        There appears to be no passages from the oil ring directly to the
wrist pin. Though there are two rather sizable holes at the bottem of where
the wrist pin is seated..

        I take that back, futher examination reveals that the oil probably
sprays in from the sides of the pistion, and is sprayed into wells above where
the wrist pin seats, probably flowing down over the wrist pin....

        (a-ha !) what a wicked neat concept !
                                :-)