Re: Bell's palsy

To: british-cars@Alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Bell's palsy
From: uunet!tc.fluke.COM!pwv@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 90 09:06:01 PST
Just couldn't let this pass after T.J. Higgins took the time and effort to
research the previously suspected causes of Bell's Palsy (even tho it
only remotely has anything to do the British Cars!).  A good friend and
co-worker of mine is currently recovering from Bell's palsy, so I am very
familiar with the symptoms, treatment, and *current* wisdom on its cause.
Recent indications are that Bell's palsy symptoms are *virally* caused,
the virus being similar to the one that causes viral meningitis.  (Some
may recall that exposure to extreme cold was once also blamed for the
onset of viral meningitis.)  The ties between exposure to cold and Bell's
palsy are very weak, and may or may not influence the onset of the disease.

BTW - my friend has much of the muscle control back in the left side of his
face, no longer needs to wear an eye patch, and is expected to eventually
get most of the control of his face back.  Also, he does not do any top-down
motoring in a British or any other car!  Besides, it doesn't get that cold
around here (Seattle) anyway!

So, keep those hoods down!

We now return you to your regular British Cars discussions ...

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA