Speedo on TR6

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Speedo on TR6
From: mit-eddie!hp6600.desk.hp.com!larry_schwarcz%q0@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 14 Feb 90 14:39 -0800
>       When I first bought my TR6, I was talking with the mechanic that
>       had maintained it(previous owner didn't know how to use a screwdriver.
>       This guy even changed wiper blades for him!). He told me that, as is
>       true with most British sports cars,that the tach and speedo indicate
>       the SAME position on the dials in top gear. I don't have an OD so I
>       don't know if this would apply in that case, but my gauges do this
>       very thing. In top gear, the speedo and tach register at exactly the
>       same tic marks(my gauges have the same tic graduations)! Therefore,
>       If my speedo went on the blink I could look at the tach indication
>       and surmise the speed. I was impressed.
>

>       Was this guy right about non-TRs?
>

>                                       Larry
>                                       Loveland, Colo

I can't speak for other cars, but my friends '70 E-Type Jag is that way.
When he's in fourth gear, the tach and speedo read the same relative
position on the dial.  In fact, a friend of his has another Jag E-Type
(I think it's a '67) with a broken speedo.  He just looks at the
tach to see how fast he's goin'.

As a side note, my friend said that he's supposed to grease the speedo
every 10K miles.  He'll disassemble the speedo to grease it and also
grease the cable.

Nobody said that owning a British car was easy or cheap.

           Larry Schwarcz
           HP Cupertino, CA
           lrs@hpindwa.hp.com