re: Speedo on TR6

To: gillam@hpfcpq.hp.com
Subject: re: Speedo on TR6
From: mit-eddie!gatech!iuvax!bellcore!pyuxe!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 14 Feb 1990 15:36 EST
Larry Gillam writes:
>        When I first bought my TR6, I was talking with the mechanic that
>        had maintained it(previous owner didn't know how to use a screwdriver.
>        This guy even changed wiper blades for him!). He told me that, as is
>        true with most British sports cars,that the tach and speedo indicate
>        the SAME position on the dials in top gear. I don't have an OD so I
>        don't know if this would apply in that case, but my gauges do this
>        very thing. In top gear, the speedo and tach register at exactly the
>        same tic marks(my gauges have the same tic graduations)! Therefore,
>        If my speedo went on the blink I could look at the tach indication
>        and surmise the speed. I was impressed.
>
>        Was this guy right about non-TRs?

While his statement is generally true for the TR-2 thru TR-6 series,
the same is not the case for TR-7/8, Spitfire, etc.  Infact, as you
surmise, even for the TR series, the direct relation (position wise)
doesn't hold true for 4th gear while in overdrive.  As for the other British
iron, I really don't know.  I've driven MGB's and can't recall there
being such a direct position match of the dials.

Bill Sohl