Re: Tach on Sprites

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Tach on Sprites
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 90 15:21:50 EST
        From: (Randell Jesup)

>Uh, I think you're confused.  The Bugeye's (and the Mk II's) had mechanical
>tachs run off the generator (via a hard-to-find little gearbox).  Starting
>with the Mk III (1098cc, roll-up windows, etc) they switched to the
>inductive tachs, which were used for the rest of the sprites and midgets.

Well, almost- :-) The mechanical tach was retained through the 948cc MKII
Sprite, and MKI Midget. The Electric tach was introduced with the
1098cc (small main) MKII Sprite and MKI Midget (No Dam* wind-up windows)
The MKIII Sprite and MKII Midget started out with the 1098cc, large main
crank, which is when they converted from mech. fuel pump to electric.
Believe me, I know. My late MKII Sprite came with a (wasted) small main 1098,
and electric tach.
        The lighting's done. Proceeding to set up shop!
(and the TR6 *IS* an overdrive type)
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | The All New:
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!