Misc, Battle Plans

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Misc, Battle Plans
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 90 08:48:06 EST
Some misc housecleaning:
-Mini Mania
 1670-B Zanker Rd.
 San Jose, CA.  95112
 408-436-7766

-There was a question here around xmas about restoration books for the
Jaguar sedans. I now have an answer:
        Pratical Classics & car restorer have announced the latest addition
to their restoration series in the Jan. issue:
        MK2 Jaguar Restoration- 100+ pages, over 70 in colour. (lbs.) 12.95.
The restoration series (which I reviewed last month) now includes:
1930's (Standard Swallow Big Nine, coachwork), Spitfire, MGB, Mini Cooper,
Triumph Herald/Vitesse, Midget/Sprite, Morris Minor, Land Rover, Austin A40
(the "newer" variety), Sunbeam Rapier, and Metal Working. (lbs.) 5.50-6.95
They also have a "mini series" (shorter, cheaper books) which include:
Austin Healey, Guide to the Jaguar Engine, Ford 100E Renovation,
Rover P4 Mechanics, TR 7 Restoration, TR4A Restoration, Austin Seven,
Reliant Scimitar Restoration, Buying a Classic Mercedes-Benz, Panel Beating,
(as opposed to just plain beating on your car), and Morgan -Buying &
Restoration. (lbs.) 2.90-3.50
Several of the bigger books are available in the US from Classic Motorbooks,
or by direct post (add (lb) 1 for each book) from pratical classics.
Visa OK, but no phone # listed. Get a copy from your local British car
magazine distributer.
        They have just finished a Stag restoration, are working on an E-Type,
and have just started an MGB new-body-shell rebuild. I expect these will be
books in their time, too.

-A question for some of you racer-types: What kind of adheasive is used to
mount the numbers and other decals on the cars? A lot of these cars have
some $$$ paint jobs, not something you want to stick bumper stickers to.
I imagine you have to change them at times, also. Yet they have to stay
in place in the rain, wash, and at C+ MPH.
        The battle cry went out through the universe- The Welty has
prepared The Outback Rally, in an attempt to foil the best efforts of the
small rebel forces. But we're not ready! We're only just now completing
our new base, and it's not fully operational yet! Even if we can get the
Sprite ready for battle, it's not capable of transporting all of our forces
that far. We may have to do battle in the Si- It's capable of carying a
pilot, navagator, and back-seat droid. The Sprite would be a much better
match for the opposing fleet, but it might not even be able to work it's
way out of the dark depths of DeLongBarn, past the scores of water and land
vessels by then, and still have the necessary work completed.
But wait- all hope is not lost. There is another...
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | The All New:
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!