Re: Misc, Battle Plans

To: uunet!alliant.alliant.com!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Re: Misc, Battle Plans
From: mit-eddie!sco.COM!sam@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Sam Sjogren)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 14:52:07 PST
    From: uunet!harvard.harvard.edu!mit-eddie!think!ames!eeg.com!akkana (Akkana)

    Autocrossers almost always use magnetic numbers (usually cut out of magnetic
    vinyl sheets, obtained through big art supply stores or racing supply
    places).  Many road racers do the same thing -- in fact, I think the
    Showroom Stock rulebook strongly suggests this.  Occasionally numbers
    fall off under high speed or hard cornering, but it isn't too common.

At the SCCA road-racing drivers' school ground school, they warned against
using magnetic numbers, that they're seen to fall off fairly frequently.
Then again, I've gotten lots of conflicting information from people
in that club.

    A lot of people (with less snazzy paint jobs) just go ahead and stick
    contact paper on the car, or paint on their permanent numbers and then
    if they have to run another number for some reason, they use tape to
    modify or cover the painted number.

As Andy's pointed out, waxing the car (or at least the parts that are
going to get the contact paper) before putting on the contact paper
makes it pretty easy to remove.  And a strip of racers' tape is very
convenient for modifying numbers (like we did with Andy's car last
Sunday when I had to drive his car in my run group which already had a
#73, just added a "1" in front of it).

-me