Re: Far Eastern clone

To: alliant!Alliant.COM!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Far Eastern clone
From: sgi!abingdon.wpd.sgi.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Scott Fisher)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 13:43:02 PST
        > >Phil Ethier writes, in reference to my Far East BritClone:
        > >>Don't tell me, let me guess:  Datsun roadster?
        >
        > >No, guess again.
        >

        > Not Datsun 2000, eh  possibly A Miata ?

        Congratulations, Chad.  Was that an Oliver Hardy handshake?  Maybe a
        Stan Laurel handshake would be more fitting.  After all, Stan was
        British.  I don't see the Miata as a real clone, though.  There are
        several real inovations there, like the subframe running back to the
        diff.

Ever see an Elan with its clothes off?  I didn't think so.
The Elan (and the Europa) used exactly the same principle,
except that they hung fiberglass panels instead of steel
(and they used MacPherson/Chapman struts instead of dual
A-arms).

        The Datsuns, now, they were clones, right down to the SUs and
        the teeth-rattling ride.   phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov

My dad and I were talking cars about a year ago.  I mentioned
the Miata, which I had only seen in photos at that time.

"Miata?  Isn't that the car that looks like a little Lotus?"
he asked.

"No," I said, "it looks like a big Lotus."