very strange and scary - sheared wheel stud

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: very strange and scary - sheared wheel stud
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 90 00:14:55 PST
I was driving home just now. While executing a not-too-abusive braking
left sweeper, I heard a sound that was definitely a thunk around my RF
wheel cover, err, nave plate. OK, I figured, it's trying to pop off. I
drive a little more, expecting it to roll off. No, just more thunks --
something inside. I get worried.

Pull over, shut off, pop the cover. Sure enough, there's a lug nut with
a piece of stud in it. Sheared clean off. I drive home very carefully,
especially when turning left.

Any conjectures as to what might have caused this? I'd been driving
spiritedly, but no more so than usual. Overtightened? Hot brakes?

Should I be looking for 16 studs or just one? How much should I worry
about driving like this?

chris