Re: very strange and scary - sheared wheel stud

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: very strange and scary - sheared wheel stud
From: mit-eddie!bevsun.bev.lbl.gov!guy@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Aran Guy)
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 90 03:07:44 PST
 The post:

Pull over, shut off, pop the cover. Sure enough, there's a lug nut with
a piece of stud in it. Sheared clean off. I drive home very carefully,
especially when turning left.

Any conjectures as to what might have caused this? I'd been driving
spiritedly, but no more so than usual. Overtightened? Hot brakes?

 My response:
 Sounds like the airhead with an airwrench syndrome to me.
 In my experience, if it happens once, it will keep on happening.
 Reminds me of a certain Barracuda in my murky past; last I heard,
it was running on an average of three out of five studs per wheel.
 Most of us on this list own cars with unknown maintenance histories,
and most tire mounters can't (or won't) take the time to properly
mount and torque a wheel properly. Sometimes, loosening and tightening
the studs to spec in the classic star torquing sequence can alleviate
potential problems. Don't try this with the wrench supplied with the
car, use a good breaker bar and socket to remove the studs, and a decent
torque wrench to install. Also be sure the threads are clean, and be
real careful if the boltholes in the wheel are ovaled. Initial tightening
sequence should be done with the wheel off the ground.
 Aran