catalyst fires

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: catalyst fires
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 10:47:28 EST
With all the talk about engine fires, here is a thoguht to consider.  The
catalyst is intended to continue oxidation of fuel that went unburned in
the cylinders.  As such, the richer the engine runs, and the poorer your
combustion is, then the hotter your catylitic converter will run.  I have
no idea why Aran Guy hd such problems with his Spitfire (mine has hd no such
troubles [knock on dashboard *! *!]) but it suggests there was some problem
from day one (though I would've figured he would have fixed it).  Anyway,
one moral of the story is to keep that engine well-tuned.  Keep the spark
nice and hot, and keep the carb in good shape.

Jim