front end and spindle

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: front end and spindle
From: Michael Sands <mit-eddie!apple.com!sands@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 08:24:51 -0800
All you lucky owners of real British cars do not realize how lucky
you are.  Imagine what it would be like to have a car manufactured
in the British Empire but no documentation!  None!  Worse, imagine
your car was built out of bits and pieces of other cars of the
realm.  There are plenty of manuals and imitation manuals for all
these other cars that cover the parts that your car is made out of
but nothing for your car!  Sorry, I get frustrated sometimes.

I have the front end apart on my Super Seven.  I am converting
the upper A arm - sway bar combination that Chapman designed
originally to a separate A arm and sway bar.  In taking appart the
casting that holds the spindle, brake caliper, and dust shield (the
name of this part escapes me for the moment) I find a strange
pivot joint on the bottom.  This joint is what allows the spindle
to turn as you steer the car and attaches the bottom A arm to the
spindle.  It seems to be made out of brass and is internally
threaded.  There is a grease seal between it an the threaded bolt
like part of the spindle that screws into this brass part.

Finally to my question, how far should the spindle be treaded into
this fitting.  Obviously if I thread it too far into the bushing
during assembly, the spindle will bind when trying to turn the car
to full lock (right hand turn?).  Should I turn it all the way in
and back it out a full turn, half, what?  (I knew I should have
paid attention when I took it a part!  Since I have this example
of wonderful British engineering, I could easily write my own manual
as I take things apart...)

Thanks for any advice,
Michael