The state of things.

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: The state of things.
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 11:28:13 EST
Actually, the line count was over 18,000 by the time I got around to editing
the file.  I *do* have to look at it all, just to make sure something doesn't
slip through that I should act on, like some irate sysop asking that I re-route
all that junk mail through some *other* machine.

THis is not especially funny...so, listen up, folk.

In the past I have had spells where I felt compelled to purge names off the
SOL list as soon as any bounces showed up.  Most of the bounced mail this time
came from six machines, but uunet in its wisdon decided to save up last weeks
bounces and send them along over the weekend, plus keep on trying over and
over and over and...  THe problem is that machines may go down but be back
up by the time I see any fo the bounces.  Some of this volume is my fault,
because there were indication a week ago that these machines were down.  I
just assumed that they would come back up quickly, which was obviously a
mistake.  In the near future, I will be doing immediate purges jsut as I have
done before.  If you SOL mail suddenly stops (as indicated by skin rashes,
inabilities to function in normal daily routines, and mysterious desires to
clean carburetors on rainy nights), you will have to send me mail asking about
the problem.  Sorry for the inconvenience, but the load is serious...

Thanks,
Jim Muller