LEAD SUBSTITUTE

To: uunet!alliant.com!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: LEAD SUBSTITUTE
From: mit-eddie!sli.com!rdh@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Robert D. Houk)
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 90 15:29:10 EST
           *** LEADED GAS IS NO LONGER REFINED OR AVAILABLE IN FLORIDA ***

           This development has positive and negative ramifications for
     my 1975 TR-6 !!!!!!

   positively : Now I don't have to chose between LEADED 89 octane and
                         93 OCTANE unleaded (Amoco)

   negatively : Now that I use unleaded 93 Octane Amoco exclusively,
              Which lead substitute REALLY works (to save valves, etc) ???

           Any discussion , recommendations, results  ????

How about "RealLead" - don't remember the company, but I think it's the
same outfit that makes "104" octane booster and lots of other like stuff.
Yes - it is tetraethyl lead. Yes, it is incredibly poisonous. You pays
your money, you takes your chances - just stand upwind when you pour it
into your tank!

It didn't hurt my Lotus. I can't say if it helped or not. Since it didn't
knock on premium unleaded, I don't know how much octane boost it really
provided. And I haven't tried 50K miles with and 50K miles without to
see the difference in valve wear...

                                        -RDH