LEAD SUBSTITUTE

To: mit-eddie!Alliant.COM!british-cars@GARP.MIT.EDU
Subject: LEAD SUBSTITUTE
From: Chris Haller <mit-eddie!CORNELLA.cit.cornell.edu!CJH@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 90 16:36:04 EST
Driving on the left was not a huge problem for me to get used to.  It
would be a VERY GOOD IDEA to get a copy of the "rules of the road"
booklet from an AA office in any town, and read carefully about the
different kinds of roundabouts, where to place your vehicle in the
stream of traffic, when and where to signal right, off, left.  After I
had got used to the roundabouts I was amazed at how smoothly traffic
flows at intersections, even major intersections, with the roundabout
system.  It really works!  . . . much better than traffic lights.
But you have to know how to take advantage of it safely, and most
drivers there do know, even if they get careless and fail to signal
their intentions properly.

What IS a problem is, when you get out of the car, and start to cross
a street.  You will automatically look the wrong way, and step off the
kerb, and will very likely be wiped out by a 'bus.  It happens to quite
a few tourists every year.

Chris Haller, Cornell University     ('54 MG TD -- any others out there?)
Acknowledge-To: <CJH@CORNELLA>