Re: ? TR-6 prices

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: ? TR-6 prices
From: mit-eddie!vax.ftp.com!mason@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Nark Mason)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 20:13:58 EST
        Does the TR6 have overdrive? Even compression across all cylinders?
Any rust? Wire wheels? Usable tyres?
        Take a test drive. Ask yourself what it's worth. If you don't
feel right offering $400 for it it's not worth $4000 regardless of what
the blue book says.
        I'm fanatic about the 2.5L Triumph 6, if the thing was a plain
TR6 with no obvious faults and could still do 100mph in reasonable time
*I* would give $4000 for it, if I needed one and if I had $4000. Overdrive
is a big plus, wires wheels are a pain but the look cool, if the tyres
aren't good you'll have to buy new ones, any crumbling rubber will have to
be replaced, any rust will have to be patched. Look underneath for rust
and rustproofing, look for rotted rubber seals like the bonnet and door
seals, the suspension rebound rubbers, take a look and see if it looks like
it's been maintained or just polished up for sale. It's not unreasonable
to expect 150psi across all 6 cylinders, if it's a bit lower that's ok but
it should be about the same on all cylinders. Shift it real fast, does it
crunch going into gears? Have the rocker panels been replaced, and if so
has it been done right or will the rust be back next year? Do the shocks
still work as shocks or is it riding just on the springs? Lift up the rugs
and look for rust on the floor panels. If the top or windows leak the
standing water will eat holes in the floor.
        The most important thing in my opinion, and yes, you did ask for it,
is to drive it, sit in it and think about paying $X000.00 for it, and
thinking about how you feel about that.